Friday, June 4, 2010

the air up there

Sooo, I don't know if you have noticed, but it's starting to get a bit hot outside.....like stifling hot....like so hot my freckles are starting to connect. Oh- and by the way, did I mention DC was built on an F-ing swamp???? Yeah...I live in a GD swamp people. A SWAMP. I should have really read up on that minor detail before I moved my entire life up here. Fail.

You know its starting to get bad when its hot in the morning before you go to work. In recent developments, I've also been so lucky as to have my air conditioning break at my apartment. SERIOUSLY??? Yes, everyone clearly wishes they could be me at this point....freckle-connecting ginger, sweating to death morning, noon, and night. Even at noon, you ask? YES NOON, because the audit room I have been forced to live out the rest of what remains of my dieing youth was originally designated for storage. Yes, you heard correctly, STORAGE. Instead we have crammed 6 human beings, 7 computers, and 2 massive printers- a bonafied accounting circus. Similar to how many clowns can fit in a car, yet not nearly as entertaining.  But seriously this closet I work in was originally intended for boxes, crates, and other valid wastes of tax payer money.The guy from the property management even suggested some fans.YES, I would love to sit in this room with the funk of 5 other people circulating around me. Problem solved. Its new nickname is Cell block 4, however I'm pretty sure jail cells were intended for human use.....our quaint little hole-in-the-wall, not so much.


OKAY, OKAY! I'll bring this little rant back around to public transit. Soooo, it's me circra 7:30ish in the morning, I'm waiting for the bus in the sweltering heat and my hair barely dried. Because every girl (or guy with disgustingly long hair) knows that there is nothing more miserable than blow drying your hair when it's hot as Hades in your apartment. Awesome. Synopsis- I basically look like a wet cat in business casual. I'm hot, and I know I'm going to continue to be hot for the rest of the day in my musty audit room (picture a Soviet prison camp)......I'm grumpy, if you will.

until I see this little gem.....




1. rhinestone cowboy briefcase
2. one long African tribal earring
3. basketball, yo.


Now this guy makes me giggle......and also concerned that he possibly lives near me. It's all fun and games until the creepy ones get on and off at your stop.....Why heidely-ho, neighborino!!!

I always like to create a little story in my mind about what these creepsters may be up to. I think its mainly to keep myself sane as to why someone could possibly have a western inspired briefcase AND a basketball....all at 7:30am. This man, clearly fresh off the boat from somewhere, has obviously got a very important meeting on a ranch followed by a round of hoops with some African world leader. I'm intrigued where he plans on doing this in our native swampland...aka...nation's capital.

The first image that flashed into my head was this one:



'The Air Up There' circa 1994

This is a great movie! Correction- it was when I was 8, so that's really not a valid claim at all. I hope this western wear enthusiast at my bus stop is a basketball legend somewhere in Kenya. Until I need his autograph I'll steer clear of the neighborhood courts....and keep my doors locked.

No comments:

Post a Comment